Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Romance Simulation Games

I've been listening to this audiobook by Daniel Pink entitled "A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule The Future", and in this book the author talks about how computer and video games can help develop the right brain. Quoted from the book:

"There’s also evidence that playing video games enhances the right-brain ability to solve problems that require pattern recognition. Many aspects of video gaming resemble the aptitude of Symphony—spotting trends, drawing connections, and discerning the big picture. “What we need people to learn is how to think deeply about complex systems (e.g., modern workplaces, the environment, international relations, social interactions, cultures, etc.) where everything interacts in complicated ways with everything else and bad decisions can make for disasters,” says Gee. Computer and video games can teach that.'"

(Kids, remember this book when your parents nag you about spending so much time on video games. Hehe.)

So I thought I'd try some computer and video games.

Since I am more interested in romance comedies than action adventures, I decided to do some research on dating simulation games like the one Renge played in Ouran High School Host Club. I was surprised to find out that dating simulation games, like anime and manga, are almost entirely from Japan. "Romance Simulation Games" they're called in the Land of the Rising Sun, and there are three basic categories: bishojo games, otome games, and eroge games.

In a nutshell, bishojo games have one male character trying to make several girls fall in love with him. Otome games are the opposite; there's one female character trying to make several boys fall in love with her. Eroge games can either be bishojo or otome, the difference is that eroge games have explicit content.

Otome games tickled my fancy, and off I went googling for otome games. To my dismay, I found out that these games are not sold outside Japan at all - hence there are no English versions! Waaah! I had already gotten myself so worked up about playing Hakuouki! I loved the anime so I knew I would love the game as well.

Hakuouki Playstation 3

And also, who wouldn't want to play Hakuouki after this:

Saitou Hajime as a rasetsu sucking blood from Chizuru's earlobe

"One of the sweet scenes in Saitou’s route is during one of his blood-sucking scenes. As usual, Chizuru offered her blood to Saitou and created a small wound on her lobe. And when Saitou was taking blood from it, Chizuru noticed that even though the wound has closed (because she is an oni) Saitou still kept in the position so Chizuru asked whether he needs more blood but Saitou quickly stood up pushing her away while mumbling that it is not like he needs more blood." (Credit: http://hikaritsubasa.wordpress.com/tag/shinsengumi/) 

I really really hope romance simulation games, particularly Hakuouki, make it out of Japan sometime soon. :)

6 comments:

  1. aww man! Dx my hopes and dreams of playing otome games just went down the toilet ;o;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we can always learn Japanese. Hehe. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Pirates in love' is the only iPhone romance simulation game I could find in English. It's really good and has different endings but each story is about £2 or $3. Personally, I think that it is worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! That's good, but still only one romance simulation game amidst the multitude of combat games in the English world... Hmm... I wonder why otome games aren't as popular in other countries as they are in Japan. :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shall we date? Is a great otome game for the IPhone or ITouch. It's got four standard characters then three extra characters that you can purchase. It's got a nice story line, though a bit repetitive at tines. However each character has multitudes of endings- happiest, happy, good, regular, unhappy, and unhappiest (i think) ending. With each ending and character you get certain pics that are just beautifully drawn.
    As another note otome games have started to grow in popularity you just have to know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's good. :) Are otome games for PC becoming more popular as well I wonder... I'd like to try a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...